effluence

there must be an outflow

Sunday, January 02, 2005

New?

No year arrives without the question of relolutions arrising. Generally, knowing that they're statistically bound to be broken, I make no such resolutions. I have made some -- two years ago I quit smoking on new year's day. This resolution was decimated five months later by a breakup and a trip to Atlantic City for a dual-bachelor party.

This year I will make no resolutions. I will , however, try to set a goal for myself. Yes, just one goal. I figure that simplicity is the best path to success. After obliterating my thoughts last night, I've managed to cultivate a few new ones today. It wasn't the 68-degree, sunny weather on this fine new year's day that inspired me. Rather, it was the movie I watched in my weary repose earlier this evening.

In the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Sam dedicates his life to helping his friend Frodo accomplish an important goal. While Frodo was the one who had to carry the burden, Sam's assistance truly made it possible for Frodo to accomplish his mission. I feel that this is my lot in life -- to be a helper. I returned from Cincinnati over three years ago with the goal of helping my parents. I joined my business partner in the business he was building in order to help him do this. I feel that such is my spiritual gift, and I should be spending more of my free time helping people.

When I try to live for myself, I fuck up my life royally. I have no wife and children to whom to dedicate my life. I have difficulties with the church and with figuring out how to live as a Christian. The author of the book of James says that religion that is acceptable to God is taking care of widows and orphans, whom I take to mean people who need help in this life. My goal this year is to find a way that I can give time to helping people. This may be through the church, or it may not. I haven't yet found a church in which I feel I belong, but this goal may help.

My thinking is that it's not easy to simply live life as I ought. Resolving to do so would most likely end unsuccessfully. I need more specific goals, goals that will place me in a position to live a useful and valuable life. These thoughts aren't actually new to me, but deciding how to address them is. So here's to a new year with a new sense of purpose.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:04 PM EST, Blogger sharon said…

    that's an admirable goal. simplicity is better from what i hear. too bad i can't seem to accomplish it myself.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home