effluence

there must be an outflow

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Worship

Last night I wasn't sure I was going to make it to church today. There was snow to consider, I was very tired, and I wasn't really feeling like going to church and being social. I decided that if I woke up in time, I would go. Having gone to bed at two, I woke up at 3:30, 4:something, 6:30, 7:50, 8:30, and 9. This was enough of an answer to me, so I got up and made it to church about fifteen minutes late.

The worship was truly amazing. I only caught the second half of it, but I was completely drawn into the movement of the spirit. Everyone was singing with all of their hearts, some standing, some sitting, others dancing. I cried and cried with joy. Oddly enough, after worship, during the meet-and-greet time, I felt as if I was invisible. I couldn't get anyone's attention for an introduction or a greeting, so after some awkward wandering about and a few attempted hellos, I just returned to where I had been sitting. Then one of the pastors, who has known me for years, came up, said hello, and asked if I was with the woman sitting two seats down making some adjustments to her child's clothing. I was truly puzzled. How can a group of people that seemed so unified a few minutes before feel so foriegn and strange? Even so, I was glad that I went. We worship because God tells us to, and because we were made to do so. I believe that the worshipers are truly the beneficiaries, however.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:33 PM EST, Blogger sharon said…

    it seems often that people's focus is fleeting, disjointed. that carries over even into worship & most often in welcoming others. i know i'm guilty of it.

    sometimes becoming a part of a group (especially a group of believers) can become so intimidating, mostly because humans tend to put prerequisites on becoming a part of that group, so to speak.

    maybe it's time to consider other churches?

     
  • At 8:45 PM EST, Blogger transfigure said…

    lull: I appreciate being able to blend in here and there. That's why I attended that ginormous Vineyard church in Cincy. It seems that because of the unity in the Spirit with Christ, there is a tendency towards presumptiveness. We have to remember that people are individuals and have individual needs, thoughts, and feelings. I wonder if the worship team wishes they had been able to bid you farewell.

    sha: Yeah, people can be like that. Honestly, I think it was just a weird sunday. The roads were bad, and the church was only about 1/3 as full as normal. I'm not going to give up on them yet! I just hope I can find a small group and a ministry I can be a part of.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home