effluence

there must be an outflow

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Elkton revisited

Today I got home from church, heated up my lunch and endured the band outside my window covering Simon and Garfunkel and James Taylor. I then headed for the laundromat to do three weeks' worth of laundry. Now it is done, and I am so glad because I was down to my least favorite underewear, and everyone knows that you can't have a fantastic day if you're not wearing good underwear. Upon returning, I discovered that two new statues had been installed on Main St., one just outside my apartment, in front of the Elkton Association building, and another in front of the court just 100 yards down the street. Nothing says, "Elkton" better than these photos.

In the second photograph, you can see the bottom edge of my apartment windows.





I do not mean to be cruel. I understand that the good folks of Elkton are trying, but I find the wedding elk to be remarkably white trash, particularly with the beer cans tied to its ass. I found the cloying odor of the Washington hawthorn that you see in the background to be quite appropriate.

The elk with the yearbook photos all over its back looks much like it has been partially skinned to reveal the faces of a thousand high school students.

I find these expressions to be entirely arbitrary, much like a high school art project. Is there no better way to express the identity of our town? Must we be entirely literal? I suppose that if I really cared, I would join the Cecil County Arts Council. Perhaps I shall. But more likely, I will not, and I will always feel like a visitor here.

Last Sunday, the 10th, I took a walk through Elkton and got some photos. I'll post those in my next entry.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:21 PM EDT, Blogger sharon said…

    "you can't have a fantastic day if you're not wearing good underwear."

    that's exactly right.

    i'll bet you couldn't if you had beer cans tied to your ass either. but i don't care to give either theory a try.

     
  • At 6:46 PM EDT, Blogger transfigure said…

    sha, regarding the beer cans tied to your ass... in Elkton, yes you could.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home