effluence

there must be an outflow

Monday, May 09, 2005

convergence

So, last week I signed away the next five years of my life to a car. Not that I can really afford car payments, but my old car began a quick downward spiral and I had to get something reliable quickly. I ended up with a 2000 Honda Civic SI. It's nice and zippy, and hopefully as reliable as any Honda. I drove it to Brooklyn this past weekend and it did great. The old Altima barely made it to the dealerships last Tuesday. The clutch pedal was about an inch off the floor and getting the car into gear required near dislocation of my shoulder.

Now that I definitely have no money, I have been afflicted with severe pain from an impacted wisdom tooth. It built over the weekend, and I couldn't eat anything solid all day today. Slmifast is utter shit. I feel hungrier after a Slimfast than I do beforehand. I finally had an english muffin a couple hours ago and survived. It was tasty. So Wednesday morning I am getting both of my impacted wisdom teeth yanked out. It would be nice if I could get some nitrous oxide to help make the cutting and pulling experience less annoying, but it is absurdly expensive, so alert and awake I will be. I wish I had a larger mouth. Can lips be stretched out? I imagine so. If I had been anticipating this, I would have been performing such stretches. I'd get the two good wisdom teeth out as well, but I'm trying to minimize cost, so I will keep them in my mouth so I have more extractions to look forward to. They make brushing and flossing an adventure!

Hopefully I will be well enough for the Echo and the Bunnymen show on Friday at the Chameleon Club in Lancaster, PA. I like this venue immensely. It's smallish and has a balcony, which provides tons of decent vantage points. I've also seen The Vigilantes of Love, The Innocence Mission, and Denison Witmer there. Then on Sunday, I'm going to the Peter Murphy show at the 930 Club in DC. This is a medium-size venue, also with a balcony and lots of good standing spots. I've seen The Human League, Siouxie and the Banshees, Blur, and The Cocteau Twins there. I am thankful for my friend Brian, without whom I would miss so many re-emerging 80s bands. I am also thankful that he buys the tickets and lets me owe him.

Now I will read a bit and then sleep. Crossing to Safety is a beautiful book, steeped in liturature, and I would like to someday write about a few of the many ideas that sparkle on its pages. Who am I kidding? These ideas will pass through the sieve of my memory like a million other ideas have. I've even written a few things down. This means nothing.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:14 AM EDT, Blogger sharon said…

    a myriad of experiences, i see.

    'tis my hope that your wisdom tooth experience will be as painless as possible & that your recovery will be quick.

    can you take advil before the surgery at least to numb some of the pain & reduce the swelling?

    praying for you. stay strong!

     
  • At 11:57 PM EDT, Blogger transfigure said…

    Thank you, my friends, for your thoughts and your prayers. I am also grateful for modern medicine and surgical procedures. It was a painful morning and afternoon, but I'm feeling much better now than I was eariler. I put some chicken soup in the blender and ate that for dinner at about 8:30. I am going to try to get some sleep now.

     
  • At 12:27 PM EDT, Blogger sharon said…

    modern medicine rocks.
    as do you.
    so i pass you the music baton.
    see my latest blog entry for details.

    word.

     
  • At 5:02 PM EDT, Blogger transfigure said…

    LP, Haha. I was painfully aware of the numbness of my lip, and managed not to drool too much, and also managed to not spray bloody spittle while getting my meds at the pharmacy. Aside from the pain, talking with numb tongue and lips was sort of fun.

    Sha, I'll certainly do the music thing in the next few days.

    And everyone, I know I need to get back into the original spirit of this blog and start composing more thoughtful posts again. Soon, I hope.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home